Phoenix, AZ—The Minuteman Civil Defense Corps praise Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) and the over 112 co-sponsors who have recently introduced the Secure American Through Verification and Enforcement Act of 2007(H.R. 4088) otherwise known as the SAVE ACT. MCDC leadership encourages all citizens to contact their elected officials to voice their support for this vital legislation. Minutemen view this bill as one of the last, best hopes for securing our borders and enforcing our immigration laws during the 110th Congressional Session.
“In order to make the SAVE ACT law, we must immediately muster strong grassroots support so House Speaker Pelosi will feel the pressure from millions of voters and allow a vote early in 2008, before it gets tabled,” states Chris Simcox, President of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps. “It is essential that we organize the necessary 218 yea votes so President Bush can sign it into law before November of next year. Otherwise, we will be gambling with national security—with the possibility of a President Hillary Clinton having veto power over this bill, and that’s not a risk we’re willing to take.”
Minutemen citizen activists will ensure that Senators and Congressmen in all states and districts hear from them regarding the importance of this legislation now and during the holiday recess, countering members of the open borders lobby and the Mexican government who always advocate in a manner that will violate American rule of law and the sovereignty of our nation. H.R. 4088 is exactly what the members of the border security movement have been demanding of our Washington lawmakers and its three part plan proposes to accomplish the following:
- Hires and trains 8,000 new U.S. Border Patrol Agents
- Creates a “Tunnel Task Force” to ensure we don’t have terrorists entering the country as described in the Fort Huachuca plot.
- Increase aerial surveillance to include use of Defense Department satellites.
- Provides employers with an inexpensive, quick, and accurate way to verify employee eligibility
- Closes the existing loopholes in the E-Verify Program to detect multiple people using the same Social Security Number and to detect people using stolen identities.
- Sets timelines for the class and size of employers to enroll in E-Verify and sets new employees apart from current employees.
- Ensures that the judicial branch and law enforcement agencies have the necessary resources to support this measure.
MCDC Vice President Carmen Mercer concludes, “Our country is generally led by weak-kneed politicians whose public policies shift with the pressures and trends of media elites and skewed polling numbers. We therefore commend and support the 112 Members of Congress who are focusing on national needs, and sponsoring H.R. 4088. The Minutemen Corps understand that our message of border security first is being heard in Congress, but it doesn’t mean we can be apathetic in the face of foreign nations’ interfering in our politics, and wayward liberal groups attempting to influence our government to keep our porous borders unsecured. Our broken borders remain a wide open corridor to terrorists, drug cartels and violent criminals infiltrating American neighborhoods and harming American citizens. The unsecured border is also a pathway to countless illegal aliens, some of them among these most lawless violators, being granted citizenship through irresponsible and unaccountable amnesty programs. We look to the passage of the SAVE Act, to finally begin to get this disaster under control.”